Thursday, October 30, 2008

By request - Toothbrush Rugging Photos How To.

Please note that these photos were taken in 2002 (it is 10/08)
I do believe that it was my first attempt at doing an on line/ photo tutorial.
As I recall, the original was done for the Sewing Board at AmityMama (although I think it was called Amity's World back then)

I have not done much rugging since that time.

Lucky for us I just ran across the original post from June of '02 (wow)

Here's a CNP.
First in a response to being called out on what a tooth brush rug is.

well....it looks something like this
(photo link no longer active)
...if
you purchase a pattern from http://www.auntphillys.com/
or you can follow the directions aunt philly gave to hgtv at http://www.hgtv.com/dc-fabrics-other/toothbrush-rugs/index.html
(link
updated today 10/30/08)

my/my mom's version that she learned
while camping at Mountain Lakes in CA
back in the late 80's/early 90's *may*
be a little different since I didn't
understand auntie phillys directions
from hgtv. *but* I have changed my starting
from a braid to her technique.
the other differences include I use 1" strips
rotary cut vs her 2" strips
torn & I make my own needles vs paying her for
one. lol come on recycle
your old toothbrushes.


Next some directions I posted.


ToothBrush Rug Starting Point. Strips & Needle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you need:

strips of fabric~

I use 1" cut with a rotary cutter.
aunt philly uses 2" torn so do what ever you want


*note* 44" wide is the easiest IMO to work with I've worked with as small as 16" and it bites to have to join the fabric that frequently. I'm currently working with 60" wide and imo while getting the hang of it that length might be difficult.

How much yardage? Well, it is my recommendation that you start small in case you don't like it. Once you are hooked you can be like me... I cut 11 yards of fabric into 1" strips the other day... eeeks... thank goodness for $1 yd fabric at WM.

Needle:

thank you auntie philly for the pict: (I didn't know about hotlinking then, sorry Aunt Philly link to a photo 10/30/08)http://www.auntphillys.com/html/needle.html

I take toothbrushes and heat them up over our gas stove (bad bad mommy) and then take my kitchen/utility scissors and cut the head off... ::eg:: then back in the fire it goes to heat it up/melt the plastic then while still hot I mold/smooth/create the point by pressing the hot plastic on a non flammable surface... last time I did it on an old tile that I use as a spoon rest... the plastic cleaned off well after it cooled. Then take the hole that exists at the other end (or it it doesn't then create one) I just increase the size of the hole my heating up that end and putting a screwdriver through it to make the hole larger. Try to make every thing as smooth as possible because you will be pulling it through the fabric.

Here's the link to the hgtv & auntie philly's site so if you want to go ahead you can... I'm not sure when I'll get around to posting the next step.
www.auntphillys.com/
http://www.hgtv.com/dc-fabrics-other/toothbrush-rugs/index.html (updated link 10/30/08)

on the hgtv directions they made more sense to me the more I read it and when I actually had the strips and needle in front of me and did it as I read.



Helpful hints from my friend Scarlet who I had attempted to teach the weekend before. I did not check her links.


found this (http://www.ruggingwithjulie.com -- Julie sells cheap pre-cut strips apparently).... Some Things to Remember

Here are a few helpful hints for the patterns that ruggers
tend to forget or overlook.

Lay your rug down every couple of rows to make sure it's laying flat. If it is cupping, increase MORE. If it is ruffling, DON'T increase for a round or so, or do decrease at the ruffle. It's not necessary to tear our this rug.


The pattern says to go three times in the SAME hole only ONCE on the oval and heart. After that, do increase about three times on each end, but as it shows on the top of page three. Two ways to know if you need to increase:
Two big holes - go in between (increase)
Long distance to the next stitch (material has to pull too far) increase.


The worker and filler (runner) are normally the same color. Change colors at the end of the oval or heart, and at the same place on the round.


Pursue - When starting a rug, it looks ugly. Go three rounds and it will improve. If all else fails, I do sell the starts. The practice start that you receive with the pattern is for you to "practice" on. It is much easier to start a rug when you have learned how to hold the needle, your fingers and have your tension even.


It's important that your material be the same weight (width). Wool and denim should be narrower. Place mats require narrower material. Basket material should be about four or five inches wide.


Originally, these photos had some directions with them. I am working to recover those at this time. I will update if I am successful.


No comments: