Thursday, October 9, 2008

American Revolution Day

Just recently we joined a new to us group. The group has been around for ... let's say 20 years. All our closest buddies have been part of the group for awhile. But it has always been so far away and so structured that I really wasn't interested. Well, having been otherwise informed, about the structure that is, I decided to give it a try. We attended our first meeting a few weeks back and the kids bonded with new friends so they were hooked. Today was our 2nd day and it was a themed day. So I was a little concerned at how it would go. Both kids have a current interest in the beginning of our country and the American Revolution falls right in there. Perfect, I don't have to do anything extra.

For goodness sakes, J is listening to 1776 for FUN (see what we are reading for a click-able link) Jules is enjoying Magic Tree House American Revolution for FUN because it ties into all the election stuff that she is hearing dh and I discuss... well, at this stage of the game it is tied in, it sure wasn't 4 weeks ago.

Let us start with the fact that the park is WELL worth the drive from where ever you happen to be. If it had not been given the highest approval rating from a dear friend I would not have traveled the distance that I did to attend. The "park" part was lovely enough but the special part was the island adventure playground of Longfellow's Paul Revere's Ride. Cannon's that shoot, a ship to play on, buildings to explore the inside of, slides that come out of the buildings, adventure and imaginative play at every turn.




The group presentations were just my speed. I can absolutely get behind this group as long as my children continue to be interested in attending.

J opted not to participate or even listen because he was too busy hanging out with some toddler girls and their mom. He had to show them exactly how fun the cannons could be. It was sweet. Honestly, knowing him it will take at least a few more of these sort of events for him to decided to check it out. That is just the way he is. If all his close buddies were there and participating he would be there to support them but still would not present... not yet.

Jules sat in but opted not to participate, she had prepared a 4 page document on how Harry Potter 1 was revolutionary. She was so passionate about her presentation, she practiced at home. She practiced in the car. In the end, she opted to cuddle with me while we watched the other kids.

Me :) I did a bunch of research on Paul Revere this morning. The bit about wanting to find the source stating he was a plagiarist. I learned more than I wanted to and I'm not done yet. I still want to finish reading a bio I found on him. I also read Longfellow's Paul Revere's Ride for the first time in my adult life. And last week while reading we found that Blind Man's Bluff was often played. So I brought directions and a blind fold in case it was called for.

No comments: