my mom passed away of breast cancer.
Each year my sister or sisters plan something.
Each year my sister or sisters plan something.
![]() |
| From 2009 January |
This year we were to go to a yoga class, one of my moms favorite things to do. I was the last of the older sisters to find the benefits of yoga. It was one year ago this week that I finally realized that for the benefit of my body and well being that I needed to make yoga an essential part of my life.
![]() |
| From 2009 January |
Unfortunately, for me, due to major traffic on the two routes to the studio I was 10 minutes late. Too late, in my mind, to join a class I'd never been too.
![]() |
| From 2009 January |
So I left a note to let them know what was up and I went for a walk.
![]() |
| From 2009 January |
or
![]() |
| From 2009 January |
I did both. I warmed up with the hill and 40 mins of speed walking in the neighbor hood at the top of the hill. Then some yoga and when the 1 hr class turned out to be a90 min class I went back and took the camera for picts of what was a wonderful, beautiful day and running the stairs for a bit.
![]() |
| From 2009 January |
![]() |
| From 2009 January |
![]() |
| From 2009 January |
![]() |
| From 2009 January |
![]() |
| From 2009 January |
Unfortunately, the landscapers were lunching at the top of the hill so we'll have to make due with the above photo from mid way facing south that might technically be east but I call it south since in my world :) the water is always in the west.
The trees over the stairs on the upper portion of the hill had just been trimmed. I was thoroughly enjoying the look of the beauty in the drops of sap on the cement. I hemmed and hawed about attempting to take a pict to share. lol I had just convinced myself not to take that pict when a drop of sap landed in my hair. I think it is still there as I write this 3 days later.
So the sap is here for my viewing pleasure.
![]() |
| From 2009 January |
![]() |
| From 2009 January |
It was quite a moment for me. Sap and sunshine. Missing the class yet finding joy in my solo adventure. These are the things that underlined how far I've come in finding the joy in my daily life. I have grown past the anger and disappointment when things are not going well and most time can find the joy and the pleasure in the little things. I strive for finding the joy more often.
![]() |
| From 2009 January |
I loved this spot in the yoga studios plaza. My photo skills don't do it justice but I hope to work on that.
After the class the sisters (we missed you Bri!) and I went for smoothies and wheat grass juice in honor of Mom. We're more tequila girls but mom was definitely a wheat-grass woman.
![]() |
| From 2009 January |
I don't know when or if we will ever manage to get together without children. It was such a joy to spend some time with the sisters.
The highlight for me was reminiscing about mom. This was the first time in my life I was dwelling on the good things about her and not the negative things. How Mom was a trail blazer. A woman who wanted to be the best possible Mom she could be. She frequently took parenting classes and often questioned the main stream. So much of the parenting, child rearing, and educational choices I make for my children are possible because she modeled off-roading, trail blazing decisions. She marched to the beat of her own drummer. And in growing up with that example it make it easy for me to make the choices I make. Thank you mom.
The below picture was taken Mothers Day of 2002. At the top of the hill of the above pictured park. One of the sites of our frequent family gatherings.
Mom is 2nd from the left. Her mother, Mummu, is sitting with Julia on her lap.
![]() |
| From Often |














2 comments:
What a wonderful way to remember your mother!
I'm so glad you were all able to get together. You have no idea how much I wish I could have been there. Megan (my roommate) and I did yoga and went for a walk down to the beach so our day was similar to yours. It was nice reading about your new outlook on mom, I love you.
Post a Comment