Sunday, January 18, 2009

1/18/09 Hightlights of the week

The week started with the last of the pre-planned field trips for the year! Every July/August I get a bee in my bonnet about planning field trips for the coming year. This is the first year that each and everyone was approved by at least one kid.

This last field trip of the year was to Oak Canyon Nature Center and a session about Birds.

Let's just say that by broadening the group of homeschoolers that I offered our field trips too I burned myself out quickly. It was fine when it was offered to specific groups or word of mouth. This year, feeling quite in control I offered them up to the county wide events group and to a new to me group. WOW what a difference. This last trip had over a 50% cancellation rate. That is people who canceled only AFTER I sent out final reminder. I went from plenty of people to meet the minimum number to thankful for the last minute addition that allowed us to just meet the minimum. On other trips the lack of common sense had me banging my head against the keyboard. Let's just say that once again I am not planning on offering field trips any time soon.

After that we were off to our Monday park day. A day that Julia just thrived. She and her friends made plans for a play/Medieval Times event for the next week (tomorrow). Jules has been working on it all week. The cutest part has been the cost of the tickets "One Smile" Ahhhhh! I love that kid.

Tuesday had Jerick at the Senior Center while Jules and I played boffers in the grass between the Sr. Center and the Community Center. I wish I had pictures of the joy and audio of our laughter. It was a good time. And nice to note that no one who saw us thought twice about a mom and a kid fighting/playing/laughing with long padded swords in the middle of the day in the middle of the week in the middle of town.

Another session of After School Club started so Jules was back at the library while Jerick had some computer time and I worked.

Wednesday, dh had off and I had that lovely morning of yoga with my sisters on the 5th anniversary of my mothers death. Then the kids and I were off to Long Beach for our Wednesday event and brought home an extra kid for an overnight. The furthest distance from parent to child for me ever for an overnight. All went smoothly once I sent them to bed at 2am because our house is so small that I could hear the sibling bickering.

Thursday started with a worried call from my grandmother about the health of my dad. He was not doing well after his treatment (3rd) for Crones and had her worried. It took him about 72 hours but he is now doing much better. Thank goodness! Funny enough he didn't like feeling like an old man :smirk: He's 69. He will never be an old man in my mind or in his own. I love that guy. We checked in on dad and then on Mummu (my grandmother) and then ran up to a Thursday group that was meeting closer to home. Woo Hoo Costa Mesa! Lots closer than their normal locations. This weeks theme was Medieval Times. It was an amazing presentation and I really wish I had my camera handy. Alas, it was all I could do to find the location and get us to the event. We made butter, built castles out of sugar cubes and had them shot down with marshmallow! An excellent event.

Friday brought about my first day of working mornings. I LOVED IT! And a run to my fav thrift store with J so I could find more clothing to go with my additional days of work. Found a few shirts and pants. Unfortunately, those extra pounds that I'm in the process of shedding limit the current use to one pair of pants. But I do love that pair and would like to wear them everyday lol.

Saturday, I walked to work for the first time. Such a joy. Such a pleasure. A beautiful day. And extra 25 mins on each end and I use foot power to get to and from work. The reality is that it is not a whole lot extra time out of my day because I don't feel the need to do my cardio for the day when I walk to work. Eventually, I'll have a helmet and can ride my bike to work for a speedier trip when needed.

Sunday, FlyLady's Weekly Home Blessing and a walk to the library with the kids. The kids are going to need some work on making it that far without continual complaints. It is simply mind over matter. It was not a long way and they have the choice to a) not go b) choose method of self powered transportation (scooter, skateboard, bike, feet)

Next week I'm looking forward to:
Working!
Seeing my Mom Buddies on Monday and Wednesday.
My Birthday and a day alone/off at Club Mud.
Finishing the week off with big events for the kids next Sunday.

No comments: