Thursday, December 3, 2009

#3 - 09 Article

3 ArticleWhat's an article that you read that blew you away? That you shared with all your friends. That you Delicious'd and reference throughout the year.

The item that I'm choosing to answer this question with is not an article. In part because if I'm inspired by something I read I read many articles/sources and it become a conglomerate of information.

I've chosen a book. A book I shared with all my friends.  A book that many, if not all, of my closest friends had heard of and many owned a copy of, but I don't recall that any of them had actually read the book.


Here is what I blogged about it last July.

This is a book that I have heard about for years. It was originally published in 1992. A book that I discounted off hand because "I am not an artist". During the month of June of this year I read some quotes on line that really resonated with me... they were from The Artist's Way. I had recently read a book called Synchronicity, it encouraged me to really pay attention to events in my life. Sure, I was willing to tune in more. Not wait for literal bonks on the head that it often takes me to pay attention. On a list I was on The Artist's Way came up in conversation and I ignored it for the most part. Then... I opened an email and the only part I saw as I got ready to skip it was "You do not have to be an artist to benefit from The Artist's Way" WOW. Really? Interesting. I thought to myself the next time this book comes into my life I'll grab it. Within hours I was at work putting books on the shelves. One of the books almost slipped out of my hand so it got a double take. It was a brand new copy of the 10 Anniversary Edition of The Artist's Way. As I had promised to myself, I grabbed it. After a few days I cracked it open and started in.

 The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron was the book with such a far reach. The book that consumed my time for many months. Time I am grateful for spending and would do so again.

The biggest lesson learned is that "art" can mean many things.

I may not have an art that I am passionate about at this time but I know I am an artist.  I know we are all artists.  I also know that at some later date I am willing to revisit the book and enjoy the experience again from a new place.

I bought extra copies for interested friends and family. Including my grandmother, Mummu, who is currently 94 years old.

A 2nd blog post re AW

No comments: