
A few years ago Scarlet and FW221, irl friends from Sewing Mamas taught me to make a bag. A bag that they found in a magazine, I thought it was French, Scarlet recalls English. I'll defer to Scarlet's memory over mine :) I called it The Market Bag, Scarlet called it The Kitchen Sink bag. I do think it would carry a kitchen sink.
This is a soft, unstructured bag. Great for mailing priority mail boxes. I transported a bunch of clothing to share with friends in one just the other night. A quick tie of the handles kept everything in without a problem.

Be warned, I have not made one in years, and am going by the notes made in my sewing journal at the time.

In my opinion your best bet is to use a woven or a stretch woven.
I like the size of a 60" wide fabric vs that of a 44" wide for a larger bag.
Fabric & Supplies
- If 60" wide then 1 yard each of 2 contrasting fabrics.
- If 44" wide then at least 2/3 yard of one and 30" of another contrasting fabrics.
- Both need batting of some sort 2 @ 5x22". I like Warm and Natural Quilt Batting. You could use fleece or sherpa, whatever you have on hand to pad the straps.
- Sewing Machine (or hand sewing supplies)
- Thread, neutral for hidden seams is fine but you'll want something that coordinates with the fabrics for the topstitching.
- Ironing board and iron will make the process easier. Press between each step.
- NOTE: Tester size 8 scraps @ 3" x 6" + scraps for handles (I think I used 2 @ 1.5x6"
Pattern Pieces:
- If 60" cut 4 @ 15x30" out of each fabric.
- If 44" cut 4 @ 11x22" out of each fabric.
- Both: Primary fabric cut 2 handles @ 5x22"
- Both: Batting/Padding for handles 2 @ 5x22"
The photos are done on a sample scale (pieces are 3x6") the sample size is perfect for Grabbits (magnetic pin holder) and square washers (I use them as pattern weights thanks to Scarlet's dh who found them at Lowes for me).
Please note, these photos were taken years ago and I have no desire to make another bag, so please do the best you can with what is here.
Photo 1:

Place the fabrics RSU (Right Side Up) in this configuration.
Photo 2:
I find that I need to place the 2nd fabric on top of the first so I know I have them positioned correctly.Photo 3:
Now, I slide them apart making sure to retain the positions. Put the same fabrics RST (Right Sides Together) forming an "L" shape.
Now, I slide them apart making sure to retain the positions. Put the same fabrics RST (Right Sides Together) forming an "L" shape.Photo 6:
Now, the tricky part. You are going to fold the fabric RST (Right Sides Together) so the arrows above touch each other. You are forming a square bottom to the bag. This is the end of dealing with this project in the flat. Do this to both the inside and outside of the bag.
Now, the tricky part. You are going to fold the fabric RST (Right Sides Together) so the arrows above touch each other. You are forming a square bottom to the bag. This is the end of dealing with this project in the flat. Do this to both the inside and outside of the bag.Photo 7:

This is what one side of the bag will look like after you've completed the prior step.
Complete the other "side" of the bag (in or out aka the one that you haven't done yet)
Straps: Do it your favorite way or here is how I did them for this project.
- Layer the 2 - 5x22" fabrics with the 2 - 5x22" warm and natural batting.
- Fold in half, the long way, and press. Fabric on the inside, batting on the outside.
- Sew a seam along the long open edge.
- Turn using your favorite method.
- Press.
- Top stitch down both sides of the straps.
Now you are ready to put the bag together.
- Put the two "bag" pieces RST (Right Sides Together).
- Line up the points.
- Insert the handles into the points.
- Pin handles in place.
- Pin where the seams meet and the points meet ... at the very least.
- Now, stitch along the open edge. Leave one edge open for turning.
- Turn the bag RSO (Right Side Out) through the opening.
- Press.
- Topstitch around the top of the bag to reinforce the handles and to close the turning hole.
Have fun a post pictures!


No comments:
Post a Comment