Thursday, March 18, 2010

Best Laid Plans OR Marigold Weeds

Late last year I deliberately let my marigolds go to seed.
The idea being that if successful I would have some marigold seeds.

Well, it turns out I have plenty of marigold seeds.
The next question was will they be viable or will they be sterile?
In my infinite wisdom I decided that I would spread them throughout my garden areas.
See, I figured best case scenario if I didn't plant this year, I'd have a garden full of marigolds to enjoy.
I also figured worst case scenario nothing happened.

Anyone spot the flaw in the logic yet?




It never occurred to me that they they would ALL sprout and I would want to plant.
Yup, those are all marigold sprouts that I'm having to weed so they don't crowd out the onions and garlic that I planted in the front garden.

Marigolds really will sprout just about anywhere.  Most were never covered in dirt. Full heads of seeds sprouted. Never deliberately watered until after I planted the onions/garlic.  Although we have had above average rain so far this year.

:sigh: My perfect soil, that hardly produces a weed while encouraging growth of seeds is doing just what it was supposed to.

The lesson? 
Take the time to think further that just best and worst case scenario.
And if the answer seems obvious, you might just be missing something.

No comments: