Monday, April 13, 2009

What to do?

The next item on my gardening agenda is to figure out where to put a new bed/planter in the front yard.

From April


This is the side we are planning on but where should I place it?

I've read North South is the ideal bed direction. That would put the bed just off horizontal.

Dh is voting for a mirror to the other side...
From April


Unfortunately, it is too big and I can't access the center without crawling into the bed to weed. I knew it prior to the bed being built but didn't force the issue. I'm forcing it this go round because I don't like playing in the dirt while the neighbors watch. It is more of a solo/backyard sort of fun for me. lol

So, I'm working on finding clarity to size, direction, and what the bed it going to be used for. Fruit trees? Extend the veggie garden?

:) my vote is the garden since the front yard gets much better sunlight and doesn't have the shade issues of the palm trees and the fence being pushed over by said palm trees. In my dream world there would be 3 beds running NS and I'd move all my veggies to the front yard. The speed bump with that is the memory of the family a street over who planted pumpkins and watermelon in their front yard only to have the crops destroyed by vandals breaking them in the street. In all fairness I'm looking at doing that stuff closest to the house vs theirs that was near the street in the vacant lot next door to their home.

Edited to Note: Right after I posted this. Dh and I went to the front yard and found clarity on how to handle the new bed. The front portion will run the same line as the back piece on the other side. The bed will be 4x8' vs the 8x12 of the left side. Yipee! Now it is time to start clearing rocks. 7am 4/14

No comments: