Thursday, July 23, 2009

New Yoga Bag

Inspired by The Artist Way who got my sewing area clean and by CHN offering a Rise and Shine yoga class at the Expo next week.

After all I couldn't possibly take my mat & brick (needed for my personal daily yoga routine) in the existing bag. As much as I love my existing bag it was never meant for travel. It was designed and constructed for at home storage between sessions. The old bag is the one in the background, the new bag is in the foreground.

From 2009July


The original bag was made from 1 leg of a pair of thrift store pants (25 cents) I had saved the other leg for a special project. I thought it would be a tote bag of some sort but it never really flowed for me. I was thrilled to have an excuse to make another mat bag with it since it is so beautiful. Both pant legs were/are the same so they look the same but the bags are different styles.

The leg was not big enough or long enough to incorporate room for the brick. I used some of my recycled jean squares, that I keep around for quilting projects, to give me the extra box room at the bottom. You can see where the hem of the pants were taken out and then the change in the fabric at where the zip turns to the bottom. With the other color changes from the jeans hem I'm not sure it is that obvious. I had to make the zip go across the bottom and up the bag to have enough room for the block. My original intention was just to go across the bottom. Because this bag would have to travel it would also need a strap. Thank goodness for my natural cotton strapping that I had on hand.

The top, still has the pocket intact and usable. There was not enough fabric to keep the pocket usable and add a way to close the bag with a drawstring. I added a strip of cotton lycra that I had on hand as precut binding for shirts. A little natural colored twill tape and a closer and it was good to go.

Poor photo but you get the picture ;)
From 2009July

I am conflicted about picking the extra threads or leaving them as part of the charm of a re purposed item.

No comments: